Saturday, April 21, 2012

Gunsmith Work

I was trusted this week to work a customer's family heirloom.  It is a Remington Model 1100 made in September of 1973 and bought by his great grandfather.  Very cool anyway the shotgun came to me in
"shot the crap out of it and put in closet when I bought a new gun."  It was replaced by a Benelli with a 3 or 3.5" chamber because the 2 3/4 just would not due anymore.  He wanted a thorough cleaning and to touch up the bluing.  What I found when I got it was much more.  First the barrel and receiver had to be soaked in WD40 before I could get them apart.  Then when I pulled out the trigger group the shell stop fell out NOT good.  So I had to go to my handy AGI 1100 video and find out what the heck was going on.  As I did not take many before pictures  you will have to believe me when I say it was nasty. So I re staked that and went about bluing good thing is I did not have to charge any extra shop time as I could do this and let the bluing take.  Anyway here are a couple of before pics that I did snap.



I took care of the bluing on this and some minor stuff on the receiver.  I have to say that overall the weapon was in good shape.

Here are the after pictures when I had it cleaned up and looking good.
Can you tell I did some bluing touch up here ah no you cannot. 

The bolt came to me completely covered with gunk

Notice the bluing issue on the side that is now gone.
Anyway was nice to work on such a nice piece.  I am beginning to really like the Rem 1100 as I have worked on several.  Too bad Remington got it so wrong with the 742 rifles as they are not so swift. 


No comments:

Post a Comment