Friday, March 16, 2012

Zombies and Ammo

Zombies have taken over the gun world and while I do not take it for the undead apocalypse as much as it is meant to be prepared for emergencies it is kinda fun.  I got one of these today as well as 40 rounds of Federal XM193 ammo

That XM193 is good stuff not quiet milspec but close enough.  No I do not need my primers to be water proof to 100 meters.  It has been suggested that this 55grain FMJ it is a good man stopper due to the way it will break up especially when fired out of a 20" barrel the round averages 3165 fps.  As we all know the minimum required velocity for the 5.56 to be effective is 2800 fps.  Unless we are using the new M262 mod1 or the Marine SOST round which are supposed to be able to buzz saw down to lower velocity.

Now to the horror of some people I like shooting steel case ammo the guys at CMMG would disagree but it has been proven by too many testers that the stuff works and I can afford to practice with it.  so this weekend I will be banging out that ugly brown russian ammo.  It must not be so bad Hornady is making it by the truck load. 

Speaking of which I am have been making more of my kill zone targets and am going to poke holes in some of the this weekend. What I have done is measure the distance in an average person (me) from the sternum to the base of the neck and what would be between the breast pockets of a shirt. Put a good round in this area and whoever you hit is going to know it.  I also cut out some eight inch circles for heads and put effective hit areas there as well as not all head shots are the same.  Basically you want to hit from the mouth to middle of the forehead.  While the sniper T zone shot is basically the width of the eyes  and about three inches below that in a straight line.  Hit here and you will stop anyones clock including zombies.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment