Sunday, February 5, 2012

Gear Check

The Queen and I have two hikes planned for this spring one is an 11 mile float followed by a two day 15 mile backpack with an overnight stay out on the Buffalo river.  This will be an absolutely beautiful float and walk if you have not been to this area it is well worth the trip.  The second is the Devil's Den loop which is a 15 mile loop this is also some beautiful country while it does not have the stunning vistas that the Buffalo area has it is great as well.

Since I am in charge of equipment on these trips of ours I thought it might be a good idea to make sure we have everything we need.  Our last trek turned into a huge adventure as it was over some bad ass bush in the White Rock forest area.  When the trail guide says it is hard believe it as we got whipped.  Anyway on to the gear.  Last time we turned out to be a little heavy in the weight department but that had a lot to do with our sleeping bags weighing 7.5 lbs.  Anyway this is how we are decked out.

Backpacks:
We both use Outdoor products Firefly external frames.  These are very light 3750 cu in. packs that have internal hydration system pouches, two side pockets for .5 liter water bottles. I have only have one complaint the lashing tab on the bottom of my bag is tearing out and that will cause me to have to re-think how we pack.

Boots:
The Queen uses L.L. Bean Waterproof Trail Model Hikers she loves these boots.  She also bought a pair of Teva hiking sandals that she is going to try out this year both in the kayak and the trail. 

My boots blew out last year and I have replaced them with Magnum Cobra 8.0 WPI this boot comes with a four star reviews and was in my price range.  We will see they will be coming in some time this week. 

We have a quality two person tent 8 lbs and each carry our own stoves and a fuel cell which when full is 12.5oz  This makes meals easier as we can both cook and carry more compact mess kits which with the stove weighs 15 oz.

Our biggest issue was bags we have been suffering with 7.5 lbs bags and that just will not do.  We both have Magellan bags good to 32 degrees but like I said they are heavy but were what would could afford last year.  Well we were able to upgrade this year while staying with Magellan bags our are now rated to 30 degrees and only weigh 2.5 lbs. That takes five pounds each off our loads and will let us pack some nice things like binos and a camera.  My Queen required a better sleeping pad than the old blue foam one that I use but it only costs her another 21oz.  She might pack both of them this year but that weight is minimal as the pad I use is only 13.5 oz. 

We each carry a head lamp that weigh 3.5 oz  and have mini lanterns for inside the tent these weigh7.5 oz each.  I also carry a crank powered light just in case.  I do carry a mixed bag of AA and AAA batteries for a total weight of 8oz.  We do not use any light that needs non-standard batteries and while I know the funky lithium's you need for Surefire products are stronger they are also more expensive and harder to find in small country stores. 

We both have Camel back that we just put in the pouch in the back pack.  I have a 100oz and she has a 60 oz plus we both carry several more water bottles and water purification tabs as I am prone to dehydration. 

We carry a small assortment of tools namely a Swiss Army knife 5.5 oz I know where is the Leatherman...I like my SAK actually she carries that and a 7 oz Buck camp knife that I normally carry deer hunting that is a great little knife.  I carry a random pocket knife, a National Geographic folder, and the hatchet (before you tree huggers go all crazy it is mainly to drive tent pegs).  We round out or load out with other small things like a first aid kit, silverware, and spices for the Mountain Home food, and a compass. We have already packed three meals which comes to 16oz.

Dry - No water starting weight is 19lbs for my Queen including pack and boots. My starting weight is a little higher at 26 lbs.  After adding about 10 lbs more with water that is still a reasonable pack weight.  Seeing as neither one of use is carrying a rifle the weight is really managable.

We finally bought some real hiking clothes, she got Adidas and Columbia I got Magellan and BGT. I will let everyone know how those turned out as well. 

If anyone has an suggestions please let me know as I am always willing to listen and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment